Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Fall Decor Made Easy: Everyone Should Grow Ornamental Corn


My dad always says --why grow corn when there's a farmstand on every corner in summer with juicy sweetness and no earwigs to battle? OK, he probably didn't say juicy sweetness, but he meant it. Harward farms has got some corn to reckon with. Ornamental corn is another story. At about $1.00 per ear, it ain't cheap. The quality isn't always the best either. But girlzies, it's just as easy to grow as sweet corn without the earwig issues. Plus, along with the ears which make a classy wreath (can I say that? I love my wreath even though it's lopsided and some kernals are rubbing off this year), you've got extra for a table centerpiece, and the stalks which I always like to buy for the porch anyway. Just grab a seed packet at your local wally-world or a garden center if you have one nearby, and put them in the ground. You could even buy an ear from the store the first year, rub some off and plant that. That's what I do now with an ear from the year before. Don't look at my white pumpkins in the picture --they're holding up my stalks which got in a fight with the neighbor kid. I told you DON'T look. Sigh.



3 comments:

Kelli said...

I'm glad I have to look out at your back door and not your front door. Because your front porch is adorable and it reminds me that mine is NOT. I remember how cute it looked last year and I meant to plant the corn this year, I really did. But spring was so short when it finally happened that I got all behind in planting and everything and then I remembered that I forgot to plant the corn and at the time I didn't care, but now I do.
oh, I hope it wasn't my kid that got in a fight with your corn...

Kelli said...

ps. when fall is over and you decorate for Christmas, can I have an ear of your corn?

Amara said...

Hey, for Kelli and anyone else, I've got plenty to share for next year's seed if you live close enough to get some from me. I didn't even take the ears off my stalks at all this year. Kelli the front of your house is beautiful. Cut it out!