Wednesday, February 3, 2010

fake it 'til you make it


Things are going better for me. I made the decision for Ari's school, and though part of me is crushed by the outcome, I'm at peace with it and know it's the best thing for her. Once the decision is behind me I'm always better anyway. At least the anxiety is past.

I'm still going with the high protein "vegan" (in quotes because I still use whey and boullion --and honey sometimes --I never got the whole "save the bees" thing) thing, and have a couple more vegan bean dishes I wanted to post. I don't know if anyone is interested in these, but at least I have a place where they're written down.

I dated someone in college from Costa Rica, and the best thing about that relationship was his cooking. It wasn't that great of a relationship frankly, but I got some good recipes. One of them was just a simple black bean mix using bacon and cilantro that was so perfect. I don't miss bacon very much being a vegan, but I do miss it as a flavoring. I made a vegan version the other night to use in burritos (I just put mine on top of a salad instead as usual) that turned out satisfyingly close to the original.

3 cans black beans rinsed and drained
1 onion chopped small
2 big cloves of garlic
1 1/2 T. EVOO
1 1/2 T. chili powder
1 t. smoked Spanish paprika (I love this stuff)
1 T. xylitol or sugar
1 C. hot water
4 t. chicken boullion paste
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves

Saute the onion and garlic until onion is translucent, and add chili and paprika. Saute for a minute more. Add black beans and mash partially with potato masher in pan, mixing with onions. Mix boullion paste with hot water, then add to bean mixture with sugar/xylitol. When heated through, sprinkle with cilantro leaves and serve.

I also wanted kind of a "chicken" burger for last night's dinner. (see why this post is called "fake i"t?) This is one made of white beans, and the family had them on hamburger buns while I did the salad beast thing again (with a fantastic roasted red pepper Italian herb vinaigrette whipped up in the blender). Warning: I always make a lot for my recipes because I want leftovers to use for my protein portions throughout the next couple of days. This makes like 12-14 patties, so scale down if you need to.

3 cans white beans (rinsed and drained)
4t. chicken boullion
2 cup hot water (divided)
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 chopped green bell pepper
1 t. evoo
3 large cloves garlic (pressed)
1/2 cup brown rice protein
1 cup WW bread crumbs
1 t. thyme
1 t. sage

Saute onions, bell pepper, and garlic in oil, and add boullion paste mixed with 1 cup hot water. Remove from heat. Mash beans partially in bowl, and mix with protein ,breadcrumbs, and herbs. Add onion mixture, and second cup water (it doesn't have to be hot). Form into patties, and brown in a non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray, 5 minute on each side on medium heat. Really good with that Jack's fresh salsa from costco on those thin wheat buns (according to my family), or crumbled over a salad.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I watched a documentary yesterday that made me want to be a vegetarian!!

I am reading these posts more seriously today :)

Deja said...

They both look divine, especially the "chicken" patties.

Glad you have some peace, even if the decision wasn't one you wanted to make.

belann said...

Your dad and I want to eat at your house. You always make the neatest things. In spite of the hassle, I'm sure Ari is being watched over.

Lynn said...

We used to have an employee at Safeway that had parents from Cuba. She gave me a recipe for Cuban Black Beans. Dylan called it swamp water! But he ate it all up. I will look for it and get it to you. I know that I still have it somewhere. She told me that her grandmother or her mother used to make this all of the time.
Decisions about our children are always the hardest. But in the end, you make the right decision for them. That is what is most important. Love you sweetie.