Sunday, December 21, 2014

Christmas lead up.

I realized on our second to last batch of cookies, that if I didn't take a picture now, I wouldn't get one. These are mostly for the kids' teachers,  with a few neighborhood families' cookies too. I've actually lost count how many batches we've done, maybe four? Of 4x the recipe each batch. However, I didn't let it stress me out this year. I just enjoyed. I put on Christmas music, or even a sappy Hallmark movie (you don't actually have to watch those, listening's enough they are so formulaic -love em), and just got lost in the creating.
I've decided it's one of my favorite things to deliver cookies to people. A lot of my friends talk a good game about no sugar, sugar is the devil, etc., but there is always somebody in the house glad to see you when you bring cookies.

 The other thing I've done with most of my December is visit Activity Day groups. I'm over this program in our Stake (group of ten congregations). It provides an activity for girls ages 8-11 twice a month after school. These leaders had such fun ideas for Christmas! It was a great time to visit for me (I'm hoping I don't get sued for using these pictures on my blog --no names at least!). This first group is wrapping caramels to deliver to their neighbors.


 These girls are "printmaking". They used red and green printer's ink, made a printing block out of a part of a foam sheet, then made the prints and used them on Christmas cards.



 These were mine. I loved them and packed them up to take home, then rushed out and left them. So sad.
 These girls made candy trains, 

 and read Christmas stories. I had no idea "The Little Match Girl" was so sad. I'd heard it before, but dang. It's heartbreaking.
 Last Saturday Tia sang in the Assembly Hall at Temple Square with her choir, and Jeff and I rode trax from my mom's to go see her.
 I got excited and took a picture right when we got in. At the last second the FLASH went off. I KNOW that was a huge no no during a performance and I was pretty embarrassed.
 We moved to get closer and I got a better shot at least of part of the choir. 

 The last song, an arrangement of "O Come All Ye Faithful" was especially amazing. It just filled up that room. Do you know that feeling where there's a balloon in your chest filling up, getting bigger and bigger and you can't catch your breath? I felt like that listening to that last song.

2 comments:

belann said...

So glad you posted, but sorry you are so sick. An amazing amount of beautiful cookies again. What a lovely tradition (for your neighbors and family, at least).

Deja said...

I want to do the printmaking thing. And that's the best description I've heard of that feeling. I love that balloon feeling. Also, you are so pretty.