Sunday, October 24, 2010

Girls' weekend in Moab

I'm a little late and need to do two posts today.  I went with a group of girls to Moab last weekend to do some hiking.  I really only had a couple of people in the group I knew pretty well, and the rest were just acquaintances or people I'd never met before.  You'd think that would be a recipe for an uncomfortable weekend, but it was just the opposite.  I feel like I made some really good friends --especially with the people I rode down with.  They were so much fun.  We discussed crazy family stories, politics, college boyfriends, you name it. 
 The thing about Arches national park?  A lot of arches.  I thought there were one or two that the park was named after, but there are HUNDREDS.  It was UEA weekend, so it was too crowded to do the hike we were planning on, so we did three other short ones instead.  I couldn't believe the colors.  My camera doesn't do justice to the bright red against the bright blue.  Yum.  Breathtaking.


 We stayed overnight in Green River (that's how you know it was a girls' weekend --no camping, hotel.  Great breakfast too by the way --let me know if you need a good hotel there.  Really good breakfast.  Worth staying for.) and the second day we went to Goblin Valley.  We planned on hiking Little Wild Horse Canyon which I was a little skeptical of since I'd never heard of it.  Oh my gosh!  Go!  So beautiful.
 Don't go when it's raining though.  We kept thinking about how that canyon would fill right up to the top within minutes.  We passed some grown men hiking through there, and I wondered how they fit.  They must have turned sideways for their shoulders to make it through. 

 We had a little trouble coming back, we started the drive, and I fell asleep, and when I woke up, we were in Capitol reef national park.  Not really on our way.  We took a wrong turn (or two).  We estimate we drove through seven counties in Utah trying to get back.  Luckily I was with the funniest mother/daughter team on the planet, and another lady from South Africa that was a REALLY good sport.  So I THINK I could find my way back again if anyone (Meesh and the boys?) wants to go back, but we won't be going through Hanksville that's for sure. 

2 comments:

Kelli said...

hum, girls camp?

belann said...

Looks beautiful. Was the hiking very difficult?