Monday, December 24, 2018

Fall.

 For fall break I took the kidsies up to Park City. We got a little condo off of hotwire, and spent a couple of days hiking and going to the shops.
 The hiking was mostly my idea....

 But we got to see some amazing views. I was surprised we ran into so much snow already.



 After the first hike we went into Atticus for hot chocolate. Kai got something called Ambrosia or something? It had turmeric and spices and a milk base. Kind of a yummy alternative to hot chocolate.

 The bookstore/coffee shop was all decorated for Halloween.

 It was the cutest little shop.

 We headed over to the Elgin Olympic museum afterward, and practiced our ski jumping.



 My little skier dude kept crashing into a horrible mannequin puddle.






 Jeff met up with us for the second evening, and we were able to do another hike with slightly more cheerful kids :)


 The rest of the fall was a lot of hiking. We had to go out of our valley to get out of the smoke, but other canyons were still beautiful. Mapleton Canyon was closed off by order of the Sheriff. The fire was too close for safety.

 This was Provo Canyon though with Annie and it was gorgeous.

 We each picked leaf bouquets.


Jeff even went trail running too.

 This was at the top of Hobble Creek canyon --the Wardsworth trail. 

 I thought this knot was fascinating. 





 Making my way home one time on the Wardsworth, I heard this chittering noise I wasn't familiar with. It didn't sound like a squirrel. Then this little dude poked his head out of a hollow tree.







 See his long tail? I guess he was a weasel. 






 After a while he ran up the to top of the tree, and I could still hear the chittering inside near the base. There must have been babies in there too. I am still kicking myself that I didn't take any video.

 A week or so before Halloween Jeff and I went on a date in Lehi. I was looking for haunted buildings in Utah, and found that this museum had its share of ghosts. The Hutchings museum They were also having a lantern walk that night where you carry a lantern around and there are story tellers in each room. 
 It was a beautiful building on its own.
 But we didn't see any ghosts. Not even in the baselemnt jail cells where they are supposed to hang out. 
 It had quite the mix of natural history and Utah history. I liked it. There was one storyteller that reminded me of Jeff's dad too. He was so funny. Other storytellers were embarrassing --at least to Jeff-- which made me embarrassed. Sigh.

 
 Later in the month I went up to Washington to help my sister and her family after she had an operation. The best part was being with these little cuties for Halloween. 

 Halloween library storytime.


 With a craft!
I felt spoiled getting so much time with my sister too. Those relationships are the best. We know almost everything about each others' foibles and character and that full acceptance anyway is the best. We also laugh at all of the same type of stuff. It was kind of a bummer to leave and have to be a real mom and adult again at home. 


No comments: